Saturday, June 8, 2013

Wouldn't take NOTHIN for my journey now.....

Sometimes, I get worked up about stuff.  I know, hard to believe, right?  Joe would tell you that I'm usually calm, unruffled, and roll with the punches like a champ.  (Wouldn't you tell them that, Joe?)  Well, this past week, I got worked up.  The adoption process has worn me slap out.  And here at the end, well, it's hard.  As of today, we are on Day 17 of our wait for Travel Approval (TA).  Not a terribly long wait, BUT:  there are problems.

Problem #1:  Two weeks ago, just as we entered the wait for TA, the CCCWA (China's adoption overseeing folks) shut down to "update their computer system."  We were told ahead of time that this was coming, so we didn't panic.  It was a long week waiting for them to open back up with their new and improved system, but we survived...... and then.....

Problem #2:  The computers didn't work.  Yep.  The computers in China that are supposed to create and print our Travel Approval (the LAST step and the ONLY thing keeping us from our girl) are broken.  Repeat:  the computers are broken.  THIS we did not anticipate, so there was a SLIGHT amount of panic amongst my fellow adopters.  But, the calendar in my brain assured me that it's just a few days...... we've waited this long, just be patient for a few more days.  BUT....

Problem #3:  Last week, you know - while the computers were broken - we were told that, during the week of July 11-24, the US Consulate will be SHUT DOWN over there to MOVE BUILDINGS.  And wouldn't you know it..... THAT'S EXACTLY WHEN THE CALENDAR IN MY BRAIN HAD US OVER THERE HAVING OUR APPOINTMENT WITH THE US CONSULATE!  Once you receive TA (which we can't get because the computers are broken), you are then allowed to make your Consulate Appointment date (which we can't make when we need it because the consulate will be moving offices.) So, big deal, right?  We can just get TA next week, right?  Ha, Ha - I say.

Problem #4:  Next week, the CCCWA (the people with the broken computers) are taking three days off for the DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL.  Repeat:  THE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL.  So, that leaves them just a couple of working days to get in there and produce our TA.  You tracking with me here? Have I lost you?

So, when you encounter situations like this, what do you do?  You run the numbers.  So I did.  And here's our deal:  We must have our Travel Approval in our hand by June 17 in order to possibly get a Consulate Appointment date BEFORE they shut down to move (!!!) or we'll have to wait until after July 24 to go to China.  And, because of the dragons, they only have like three more days to do it.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Except for this:  Our sweet social worker, Karla, posted some encouragement to all of us waiting families today.  Here's her quote:  "Adoption is truly a spiritual journey that will culminate in the gift of a precious child."

Her words were also comforting as we grieved with a fellow adoptive family.  At our travel meeting, we had the privilege to meet several sweet families also nearing the end of the process.  One family returned home Wednesday night after three weeks in China adopting TWO children.  Their son, who they knew was extremely sick but still proceeded in faith, knew the love of a family for three weeks.  Then, on Thursday morning, he went home to be with the Lord.  Another family who had also gone through the same horrific experience said, "We knew that we were, quite possibly, only supposed to adopt this child so that we could usher her into the arms of her Savior."

Honestly, I do not have problems.

 I figure the Lord's got me right where He wants me.  Helpless.  Clueless.  Sometimes sad.  Totally (and I do mean TOTALLY) dependent on Him.  Cause if it were easy, I might dare to think that I can actually handle this process - this journey - on my own.  Which I can't.  

And anyway..... a rough day in adoptionland is better than a good day NOT immersed in this wonderful, life-changing experience.

In the words of the Happy Goodmans (Joe!  A Vestal reference!!!) - "Well, if I could still I wouldn't take nothin' for my journey now!"

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mikki! I can't even tell you how I came across your blog, but am so thankful for your story. We are also adopting from China and it seems we are on a very similar track - just one year behind you. We are in the process of wrapping up our home study now. I am so thankful for all the blogging families going before us that we can learn from, since we don't know anyone one else personally who has done this! One question for you - what Facebook group(s) do you belong to? I can't seem to find one that is active and would love to find an online community to be a part of!

    http://oneorphanless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess..... congrats on finishing up the Homestudy! That's a BIG check mark off the adoption list! There are LOTS of Facebook groups out there..... many of them are organized by when you are (or will be) DTC. For example, we were DTC in Fall of 2012, so I'm in that group. There are SEVERAL people who are right where you are in the DTC Spring/Summer 2013 group..... just put that in your search bar on FB and request to join. The administrators are usually super quick getting folks added to the group. Again, congrats on your progress! I look forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO much for the tip! I kept searching "China Adoption" and didn't come up with much that was helpful! Your family has been on my heart so much - I was just telling my husband about all the trouble right now and your extended wait. I'm praying that you get your TA soon!!! I already know I'm going to be a wreck at the end - I was already impatient just with the home study and we haven't even been match with our daughter yet!!! :)

    ReplyDelete