Monday, June 18, 2012

My Max.

Two days after Jack turned three years old, Max Powell was born.  He spent his first few days in the NICU and I remember being extremely anxious about the fact that no one was holding him in his first few hours of life..... would he bond with us?  was he scared?  was he sad?  was he hurting?  would he ever trust us to protect him?

That was ten years ago.  I can't believe I have spent ten delightful years with Max Powell.  I have been around a lot of ten year olds in my day, and I must say..... this one is unique.  He is constantly thinking about things and processing information, but he really doesn't want people to know that he's smart.  He enjoys spending time with his friends, but he would rather not have to talk to grown ups.  He gets really, really scared during storms, but he knows for certain that his peace during those times comes from the Lord..... and doesn't mind praying about it.  He likes to stay busy..... down time is not his friend.  He collects things....many things.  He hates haircuts.  And new books make him happy.....which totally makes his Mama happy.  

I had the awesome privilege of having Max in my fourth grade class this past year and, about half-way through the year, realized that I spent EVERY single moment of the day with this child.  Every.  Single.  Moment.  Literally..... 24/7.  I wondered if either one of us would begin to tire of the other..... cause, you know..... that's a lot of time...... but we never did.  He still cuddled up with me on the couch at night and talked about his day.  He still asked me to read out loud to him at night or watch Storage Wars with him.  He still started every sentence from the backseat with, "Hey, Mama...."  

I adore this boy.  He and his brother make me smile.  Here's are a few smiles from Max through the years......

One

Two
Three
Four

Five

Six
Seven
Eight
Nine

And, just to keep things even..... here's my favorite video of the Maxer..... 
This one was a "hidden camera" experiment to explain to Joe what I go through in the afternoons before he gets home from work.  You gotta watch all the way to the end..... Oh, dear....



I think you are a mighty fine man, Max Powell.  It is my pleasure to be your Mama!
Happy #10 Birthday!



2 comments:

  1. Hey Mikki!
    So glad to see your comment on my blog, and so sorry for your loss with Laura! She was amazing. I wasn't able to go to the visitation tonight because my husband is out of town, but I will be there tomorrow. What a legacy of Christ she leaves behind. Where are you in your wait for your baby girl???
    love,
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nikki!
      Yes.... I had actually been directed to your blog when searching through some other adoption sites and when I saw a post you had previously done about Laura, decided that I should be your cyber-friend! I linked your blog to my blog right away! Laura's visitation tonight was precious.... photos everywhere..... really great. And I'm sure tomorrow will be a reflection of her, too. I'll be the one digging through the Kleenex.

      We are actually still in the beginning stages of our adoption. Our social worker emailed today to say that our home study should be ready for review by the end of the week and then we'll start compiling the dossier. I'm convinced the Lord chose adoption to teach me patience!

      I look forward to sharing the journey!
      Mikki

      Delete