Monday, June 25, 2012

Living WELL.

My sweet friend, Laura, met Jesus face to face Saturday night.  For the last 48 hours, she has been in the presence of the Savior that she so desperately wanted others to know and love.  Her journey through cancer was not one that she would have chosen for herself..... but, she would often say..... it was a journey that led her into the arms of God time and time again.  (A precious place to find yourself, I'd say......)

You see, Laura RELISHED one simple truth.  A truth that is available to all of us, but one that we rarely REALLY think about.  God loves us.  GOD LOVES US.  And everything that we do in life, every word we say, every action, every relationship should come back to that..... God loves us.

So, what did that mean in Laura's life?

It meant that, although she was suffering terribly, she talked freely about the goodness of God. It meant that when she was given bad news from doctor after doctor, she said, "But have you met my God? My hope is in Him." It meant that she pointed people to Christ with every single breath..... until she took her last.

Laura got it.  And once you get it, apparently, you spend the rest of your life explaining it to others.
Through her testimony, teachings, and writings, Laura lived her life proclaiming His love..... For years now, the way she has lived her life has challenged me as I live mine..... I want to live WELL..... resting in and relishing the truth.....

God loves us.
Simple.  Beautiful.  Powerful.  Life-changing.
God loves us.

So, what does that mean in MY life?

It means more diligence in knowing the Word.  It means more conversations in my house about how we can show God's love.  It means more patience.  It means being obedient to the tugging and nudging of the Holy Spirit.  It means more time spent in prayer.

Laura lived well..... and she finished well.
What an awesome example.

If you haven't found Laura's Caring Bridge site, you're missing out.  I'm new to this blogginess, so I don't know how to post a link that says to go *here* to find stuff...... so just Google "Caring Bridge Laura Black"...... you'll find it, and you'll be so glad you did.  (I highly recommend her "Letters to My Children" series..... oh.  the.  goodness. that.  it.  is.)

I'm happy to have known you, Laura Gautney Black.  Thank you for your friendship, your witness, your courage, your insight, your wit, your joy, and your legacy. Well done.......






2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Mikki. I did not know Laura, but we are both from Tuscumbia and graduated from Deshler High School. I was a few years ahead of her. I have "heard" of Laura, though, through mutual Tuscumbia friends over the years and I read some of her blog posts on her Caring Bridge site a couple of years ago. So many posts on FB have had Laura's picture attached to them the last few days. What a remarkable, young lady! I don't know that I have ever seen such courage and faith. An example for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikki,
    Praying for you as you grieve. I spent several hours over the weekend reading Laura's CB site and was so amazed by her unwavering faith. I have also shed countless tears for her precious children. But, I am confident that Laura Biblically-prepared them to understand that her absence on earth is an assurance of her presence with our Father and that they will one day be reunited!

    ReplyDelete