Sunday, December 15, 2013

Music to my ears.....

When I was a Freshman at the University, I took a public speaking class - Public Speaking 101, I think.  One of the assignments was to choose ANY song ever written and to SPEAK it to the class.  No music, no singing... just SAY the words like a story.  Pretty nifty assignment for a public speaking class.  Pretty nifty assignment that I COMPLETELY FORGOT about until I got to class.  The teacher got up and asked who'd like to go first, and it dawned on me that I was supposed to have prepared a spoken song for that day.  I WAS A MESS.  Folks were getting up one by one and, in narrative style, speaking the words to Broadway lyrics, country music tunes, and current pop hits.  Finally, the professor looked at me and announced that it was my turn.  So, what did I do?  Start crying and confess that I hadn't prepared?  Nope.  I marched right up to the front of that class, turned around, and began telling the story (song) that was the only one that popped into my mind at the time.....

Frosty the Snowman was a jolly happy soul with a corncob pipe and a button nose and two eyes made out of coal.......

It is NOT EASY to speak a song without pausing at all the songy places, but I did it.  Everybody in there just laughed, nodded their heads, and said, "I never would have thought to choose that song, but it worked!"  I was SO relieved.

Why do I tell you this?  What in the WORLD does this have to do with ANYTHING?

Well, that day, for the first time, I really listened to the WORDS to a song.  When you take away the instruments and melodies and harmonies and have JUST the words, you get a whole new take on what the song says.  (And Frosty the Snowman is a CRAZY sad story, by the way..... poor ole fool KNEW he was melting......)

Anyway, since that day, I've paid more attention to the lyrics of songs.... just reading them like a story.
And the Christmas carols that we're all singing this time of year?  WHAT  A STORY THEY TELL.


Away in a manger, no crib for a bed, the little Lord Jesus lay down his sweet head.  The stars in the sky looked down where he lay, the little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay.
Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay close by me forever and love me, I pray.  Bless all the dear children in thy tender care, and fit us for Heaven to live with thee there.

Oh, come, all ye faithful, joyful, and triumphant.  Oh, come, ye, oh come, ye, to Bethlehem.  Come and behold Him!  Born the King of angels.  Oh, come, let us adore Him!

O, Little Town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie.  Above thy deep and dreamless sleep, the silent stars go by.  Yet, in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting light.  The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.  O, Holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray.   Cast out our sin and enter in, be born in us today.  No ear may hear His coming, but in this world of sin, where meek souls will receive Him, still, the Dear Christ enters in.

Silent night, holy night....all is calm, all is bright.  Round yon virgin mother and child, holy infant, so tender and mild....sleep in heavenly peace.  Silent night, holy night.....Son of God, love's pure light.  Radiant beams from thy holy face.... with the dawn of redeeming grace.... Jesus, Lord, at thy birth!

Joy to the world, the Lord is come!  Let Earth receive her King!  Let every heart prepare Him room and heaven and nature sing!

Aren't they wonderful?   I so enjoy the music of the season!

So tonight, our Powell Family Advent today focused on music...... we had a little sing-a-long with Jack on the violin, Max on the cello, and Mary in her pajamas "organizing" the music stand.








We had a GRAND time.  



Today also took us outside to the FREEZING cold for a VERY QUICK photo shoot.  It seems that I have signed myself up for a yearly Christmas card exchange with some of my fellow adoptive Moms through Facebook.  I ADORE the idea of watching our little ones grow up through the years through Christmas cards..... then realized that I STINK at sending Christmas cards.  I CALMLY explained to my family that I didn't care HOW cold it was outside, we were GOING to get some nice pictures today after church and you BETTER act like you're enjoying it.

Turns out, it WAS pretty fun.  Here are a few of the shots I got.





 
For the rest of my life, I will cry when I see this picture.  I love, love, love these three humans.



This one might be my favorite.


 Mary kept looking back like, "Hey, y'all come on!"

 I did not EVEN tell the boys to do this, and I just about DROPPED MY CAMERA when I KNEW I  had captured the moment.  I think they love her.

 I have NO WORDS.  And that's saying something.....



 Beautiful boy.

 Max kept mumbling stuff to Jack and got him all tickled.  


This kid is fantastic.  Until he irritates the stew out of me.....

Wanna see some of the blooper pictures?  Cause they funny.











We wish you a Merry Christmas!
We wish you a Merry Christmas!
We wish you a Merry Christmas!
And a Happy New Year!




No comments:

Post a Comment