Saturday, December 14, 2013

Making Time.

For YEARS, I've said that I would love to have a tiny little device in my purse that I could use to PAUSE TIME.  When I get behind or my to-do list runs amuck or it's 5:00 and I don't know what's for dinner or I have multiple places to be at once..... just hit PAUSE.  Then, while all of y'all are PAUSED, I can take my time getting caught up.  I'd just leisurely go about my business and take care of things, then hit UNPAUSE and resume normal life, all caught up.

Cause WHEW there's a lot of stuff to get done.  I mean, my agenda items aren't national security or life or death or anything, but there's so much that I would REALLY like to get done.  But then, maybe ALL that stuff isn't what is best......

Maybe what is best is taking time on these last TWELVE days before Christmas to do three things:
1.  Study Jesus with my family.  His birth, His ministry, and His love for us.
2.  Do something fun EVERY DAY with my family - just the five of us.
3.  Be still and hear what the Lord has to tell me during this holiday season.

Joe and I can fill the Powell time up with going and coming and running around here and there, or we can fill our time with #1-3. Will we choose correctly every day?  Doubt it.  But we're gonna try....

A couple of years ago, we prepared a set of twelve "Advent" meditations.... some "borrowed" some from our own little brains, and typed them out on cute Christmas paper and gave them out to some of our friends - Joe's deacon families, Sunday School class members, etc.  I was reading through them the other day and came across one that said EXACTLY what I've been thinking about for the last few days.  It said:

525,600

There are exactly 525,600 minutes in one year.  Doesn't it seem like there should be a lot more than that?  That's it..... that's all we get.

525,600.

How will you use those minutes this year?
This Christmas season?
This week?
Today?

Our lives are busy.  We have So.  Much.  To.  Do.  So, I think the only thing we CAN do is PAUSE.  Think for just a minute about what is most important to you.

Who has the Lord put in your life to care for?
What has He called you to do on this planet?
How can you best bring glory to Him?
What is the best use of your time, talent, and treasure?

Spend the next ONE minute praying that the Lord will help you focus on what is most important.  Pray that He will help you order your days to bring glory to Him.  Seek His will in your minutes.

Listen to Him.  What does He say?

You have the next 525, 599 minutes to be faithful to him this year.

525,600.


So, as we prepare and anticipate the birthday of our sweet Jesus, I'm going to try to use my minutes VERY wisely.

And, in keeping with #1 and #2 above, I'm working on a sorta "Twelve Days of Christmas" Advent - Powell Style.  Joe's in charge of the Scripture each day and I'm in charge of the fun!  Here was today's....


NOTE: There is probably some clever way to rotate this picture so it isn't sideways, but, alas, I have no clue how to do it.  So, just tilt your head or your computer sideways and carry on!


As I type this, the boys are digging through the kitchen drawer looking for a spatula to dish up the cookies we just made, The Polar Express is ready in the DVD, and Joe has fallen asleep putting Mary to bed.  So, it might just be three of us watching the movie, but the whole family was at the dinner table when we opened the envelope, so that counts.

NOTE #2:  While I was figuring out how to rotate that above picture (no success), Joe came back downstairs WITH Mary.  Apparently, she is rallying tonight.  As it turns out, I went back upstairs with her and Joe proceeded with the Polar Express fun with the boys.  She finally fell asleep and I joined them right when those two kids sing, "When Christmas Comes to Town" and cried like a baby.  That part gets me every time!!!

I love Christmas.  I love everything about it.  But most of all, I love sharing it and really, really CELEBRATING it with Joe, Jack, Max, and Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment