Saturday, September 21, 2013

Mid-Autumn Moon Festival. And my meltdown.

There are three large holidays/festivals in China..... Chinese New Year, the Dragon Boat Festival, and the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.   While Mary grows up.... and for as long as she wants.... we want to expose her to the traditions of her heritage.  That sweet girl gets to not only enjoy OUR special days - Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving - but those of the Chinese culture as well!  Apparently, the Powells are gonna be partying all year!!!

This year, the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival is being celebrated Sept. 19-21.  While there are some practices and beliefs connected to the holiday that we, as Christians, won't be focused on, there ARE some sweet legends and stories that symbolize special aspects of Chinese culture.  This particular festival focuses on LOVE and FAMILY - two of my favorite things!

The legend behind the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival tells of a man, Houyi.  Legend has it that there were ten suns that were scorching the earth and, because everything was burning up, people were dying.  So, Houyi used his sharp-shooting skills to shoot down nine of the suns.  Because of his bravery and skill, he became a hero to the people and was rewarded with an elixir that, when consumed, would make him become immortal.  Houyi, however, did NOT want to become immortal.  Why?  Because he LOVED his WIFE, Chang'e,  and wanted to stay with her.  (I love that!) He gave the elixir to his wife for safekeeping. As the years went on, Houyi became the master of many.  Those under his charge were loyal and obedient - except for one.  Peng Yeng wanted one thing from his master - the elixir - so he snuck into Houyi's home one evening when he was away with a plan to attack Chang'e and drink the elixir.  Chang'e knew she could not overcome the evil servant, so, out of desperation, she drank the elixir herself.  It sent her up and up and up into the sky until she eventually stopped on the moon.  Houyi spent his days and nights mourning the loss of his wife and set up a table in his yard with her favorite foods - including the moon cake.  Those who respected Houyi joined him and also set up tables of food in their own yards.  This became a tradition every year and gave the people the opportunity to gather together and give thanks for their safety and well-being.

The Mid-Autumn Moon festival focuses on REUNIONS and giving THANKS.

The traditional food of the festival is a MOON CAKE, and it is customary in China to present these pastries to those you love.  Families reunite and show gratitude for the "harvest" of life.  Families also spend time during the festival gazing at the Harvest Moon and thinking of those in their family who are not with them..... knowing that they are looking at that very same moon.

Now.  That was a lot of words.   Can you tell I've been researching the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival?  Well, I have.  And even though the Powells are not planning to burn any incense or worship the moon god, there ARE things that I find sweet and special about this holiday.

REUNIONS:  being with your family is a good thing.  We are homebodies here in Powellville and actually spend a LOT of time together anyway..... but even when they're grown, I hope my people come back to see me.  They don't even have to bring me a moon cake.  But I want there to be such a STRONG bond between Joe, Mikki, Jack, Max, and Mary that we desire to spend time together - even when we're apart.

THANKS:  There is OH so much to be thankful for.  The year we've just experienced will FOREVER be special - I'm thankful for that.  The years AHEAD promise to be full of fun and sweetness and new traditions - I'm thankful for THAT, too.

MOON: No matter where you live on Earth, we all see the same moon. I love that during the festival, families look up at the beautiful harvest moon thinking of family members far away that might be gazing up at the same moon.  Although Mary is VERY MUCH a part of us, I can't help but think that she also has family members on the other side of the world who can see the very same moon we can see.  I pray that they find comfort during this moon-gazing festival.  I pray that the Lord gives them a peace in knowing that their little one is LOVED and happy and safe and well.

So.  There's your Chinese Culture Lesson for today - the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.

Now.  Are you wondering where my meltdown comes into play?

Well.... I ventured out this afternoon to find us some Moon Cakes.  In town, we have an Asian market - Mr. Chen's Authentic Chinese Cooking and Oriental Market.  Shame on me that I haven't been in this place until today...... It.  Is.  Wonderful.

So wonderful, in fact, that I had a MELTDOWN right in front of the frozen foods.  When I stepped into that market, I felt like I was in a time warp.  It SMELLED like China.  It LOOKED like China.  The folks inside were speaking Chinese.  I literally felt like when I walked out the door, I would be back in Shanghai.  Now, there were LOTS of emotions that I felt while in China - but I was so engrossed in the MISSION TO JUST GET MY DAUGHTER - that I never did cry or have any sort of come apart while there.  But this afternoon, when I was looking at the steamed buns (JUST like the ones we had in Shanghai) and perused the lovely tea sets and ordered my cup of tea, I had all those emotions WASH over me..... and I started sobbing. I immediately texted Joe:  "I'm in the middle of this Asian market CRYING because it is SO reminding me of China.  They are going to think I'm crazy, but it is bringing up ALL those emotions I was feeling then.  Like TEARS are falling on my phone.  I'm hiding in the noodle aisle."

I managed to get Mary some fried rice and, although they were out of Moon Cakes, I came home with a sweet pastry that we'll enjoy later tonight.  I cried all the way home, and the children have totally made fun of me for crying at the market.  But I've been through A LOT in the last 3 months, and it all just sorta came out somewhere between the freeze dried seaweed and the frozen dumplings.

I LOVE my FAMILY.  I'm THANKFUL to a mother and father far, far away who, for reasons I may never know, made decisions that led us to our daughter.

I'll be looking at that big harvest moon tonight..... and thinking about all of these things.  And I might cry.  Again.








No comments:

Post a Comment