Saturday, January 4, 2014

There's just something about a NEW YEAR.

Most of the time, I am so excited to put the finishing touches on the current year and begin a new one.  At the top of my list of FAVORITES would be fresh new calendars, goal-setting, and planning.  I am GOOD at starting new years.  But over the last few days of 2013, I found myself a bit blue.  I mean, I'm happy.... and that was the problem, I guess.

The year 2013 was AWESOME.  I mean.... AWE. SOME.  Although it started with the unknowns in adoptionland, in March, we saw our daughter's face for the first time, traveled to get her in June, and have settled VERY SWEETLY into life as a family of five throughout the last six months.  So, 2013, I was sad to see you go.  Cause you were GOOD.  And I'm thankful.

As I looked at my brand new Erin Condren Life Planner (Merry Christmas to ME) and started thinking about what this year would bring, I kinda sighed.... cause how in the world could it top last year?  2014, you've got some BIG shoes to fill.

But then, as I flipped through the pages of that calendar and labeled events and birthdays and anniversaries, I realized that 2014 will bring treasures of its own.  Mary's gonna go to Disney for her very first time, Jack's gonna get his permit and start driving us all over the place, Max will be playing real-live middle school football, I'm gonna go back to work, and Joe's gonna be married to a FORTY YEAR OLD WOMAN.  Yes, 2014 has things to offer.

Each new year, some people choose one word to focus on for that year.  One word to sort of guide their way through the year....... words like TIME or PRAY or TOGETHER or FORWARD.  If I had to choose a word to guide me through 2014, I think it would be the word INTENTIONAL.  I want to be INTENTIONAL about the good things in my life..... like experience them ON PURPOSE.  I want to make memories ON PURPOSE.  I want to grow in my walk with the Lord ON PURPOSE.  I want to nurture the people who live in my house (and even those who don't) ON PURPOSE.

I want to be INTENTIONAL.

And I will be.  2014, I'm gonna INTENTIONALLY enjoy your minutes.  I'm gonna document the memories that your days bring.  And in 365 days, I hope to be sad to see you go!  Bring on the NEW YEAR!

Now.  In my efforts to soak in all of 2013 before the clock struck midnight, I failed to fully document our Christmas!  Here's a quick look at how things went......

CHRISTMAS EVE:
  We started our day at Another Broken Egg (a little family tradition)!  Mary had been sickie and had a ROUGH night the night before and a ROUGH morning when she woke up, but by the time we got her a plate full of eggs and grits (and donut beniets with marmalade), she settled down and was delightful throughout breakfast.  As long as she had the napkin draped on her head, she was happy.


After breakfast, my people chauffeured me to a COUPLE of stores so I could put the absolute finishing touches on my shopping.  I always swear that I will NOT do ANY shopping on Christmas Eve, but somehow there are always a few loose ends to tie up.  With full bellies from breakfast, they were all very patient and accommodating as they drove me around and waited in the car.  Didn't take long, and we were back home.  We let Mary take a good nap and then it was time to open our family presents! It's our tradition to do this on Christmas Eve since Christmas morning brings the excitement of Santa and then we're on the road to the farm.



Tried to get a picture of all three kiddies..... this is one of MANY that look like this.  Girlfriend was in rare form after that good breakfast and a long nap.  She was feeling MUCH better!



Only decent one, but Max and Mary still look funny.  Jack has learned the picture taking technique with Mary:  do not change your facial expression or look away from the camera..... for as long as it takes!

Stocking time!

Yay!

Mary's first thing out of her stocking?  Princess panties.  Yep.  Girlfriend is gonna spend her new year with a little POTTY TRAINING!


A princess bubble wand AND some grit crackers were a few things that came out of her stocking, but she was more interested in that new underwear.

VERY interested in that new underwear.  She now has to wear a pair of panties ON TOP of her diaper at all times.


Wonder what's in this bag?

OH!  It's my Baby Be Blessed doll!  Has "Mary Jewel" on it along with the verse Jeremiah 29:11.  And I love that after every doll is hand-sewn, the maker prays over each one.  Lots of people have prayed for our Mary!

Feeding her doll some candy from her stocking.  


Max was PUMPED about his new house shoes.  Course, he'd picked them out himself months ago.



Everybody look at me! 

Love his excitement over each and every gift!  Max wanted some silk pajamas from the silk factory in China, but we said NO ($$$$$$$$!!!!!!)..... silk pajamas are cheaper on this side of the world, apparently, so he finally got some!

Everyone took turns helping Lil Bit unwrap her presents.

Then she finally started getting the hang of it.  Took her FOREVER, but she got it!  We also have a Powell Policy that states that only one person is unwrapping a present at any given time.  The others should be WATCHING that person unwrap the present.  That way, we really enjoy making over stuff and seeing what others give and receive instead of just tearing through the boxes and bags like maniacs.   This worked well for MJ.... cause she would get REALLY worked up when there was too much going on.  Christmas is PRECIOUS, but it can get WILD if you let it!  


Got just what he wanted, apparently! Teenage boys are interesting.... all Jack really wanted were a couple of movies and some CASH.  That seems sad to me, so I had to get creative. 


Joe was impressed with his AUTOGRAPHED copy of Clint Hill's book Five Days in November.  He's the Secret Service agent who was on the back of the car the day JFK got shot.  Joe read that book in like two hours.  Boy loves some history.


The Mary got some Minnie Mouse jewelry.


Cool pencil prints for the Man Cave. Max got the Hobbit.

Jack got The Dark Knight.


Wore that Minnie Mouse necklace the rest of the day.

Hey, a set of princess tea pots!

She wears bracelets on her feet.  Has done this since we got her.....

Finally, all the presents were opened and it was time for the Christmas Eve service at church!

Mary was a bit less than precious during the service, so 1) this was the only picture that got taken and 2) we spent a LOT of time in the lobby playing with the water fountain while 3) I was scared to death that the boys were gonna spill the grape juice of the Lord's Supper all over the lady next to them (Joe was serving and I was out with Mary, so they were on their own).... but, no spills! 

We ended Christmas Eve by driving through town looking at Christmas lights.  That was our Family Advent Fun for the evening, so we rolled down the windows, cranked up the Christmas music, and drove all around enjoying the sights of the season!

Then, it was off to bed so Santa could come!


CHRISTMAS DAY:

Apparently, I took absolutely NO pictures on Christmas morning.  My only excuse was that I was REALLY enjoying my people and our Christmas morning together.

Here's a quick video that Joe took:





After breakfast and a bit of present fun, we got packed and hit the road to the farm!

Before we pulled out of the driveway, Joe read THE Christmas Story to all of us in the car.  That was the Powell Advent Fun for Christmas Day:  read aloud about the birth of Jesus.  My favorite part of this precious event was when it points out that Mary "pondered all these things and treasured them in her heart."  That's what I so desperately want to do:   take in the moments around me so I can ponder them always and treasure them in my heart!!

After the sweet reading of our Savior's birth, it was time to hit the highway!  Ryan Family Christmas, here we come!

Some things that NEVER CHANGE about Ryan Christmas Fun:

1.  Night Night will ALWAYS be wrapped up in a blanket.  Cause Mudger is ALWAYS hot and has the air cranked and the fans on.  Love that.



2.  Mudger always prepares TWO rounds of "Dirty Santa"  to be played before the REAL gifts are given.  My grandmother started this tradition and would save gifts (mostly from Publishers Clearinghouse) ALL YEAR and then wrap them up.  With Granny, we've been known to play THREE rounds of Dirty Santa with over TWENTY people.  And yes, that takes a LONG time.  Granny's gifts in DS would include lightbulbs or tiny screwdrivers or chapstick or those plastic things that help you open jar lids.  Mudger's Dirty Santa is very "personalized"...... like she buys the gifts for particular people in mind, even though ANYONE can pull the gift when it's their turn.  But everyone knows just to watch Mudger's face during the game.... she'll kinda nod or shake her head, or sometimes she'll make noises to discourage a particular choice. That way, the boys don't wind up with the Vera Bradley pouch and I don't get fruit-flavored popcorn from Disney.  It's interesting.  But fun!

Here's NN with his "Grumpy" mug that he opened.  Wonder if Mudger had him in mind when she bought it???

Everyone was told to NOT choose the reindeer bags.  Those were Mary's.  Round 1:  Dora Dominoes!
And please note the DISH TOWEL wrapped around her neck.  There is ALWAYS a dish towel somewhere near her.
  Dish towels are her favorite.


Whatever is in that brown reindeer bag was Mary's second round Dirty Santa gift.  But I can't even remember what that was.  BECAUSE........

Somebody else pulled out THIS.  It's a chipmunk.  With earmuffs and a scarf.  And when you squeeze its hand, it SINGS.  And DANCES.  And it's LOUD.  And it sings in that "chipmunk" voice.  And it sings, "Oh, we NEED a little Christmas, RIGHT this very minute....."

Here.  Let me show you. 
(It has STOPPED dancing.... probably cause the TWO year old showed it NO MERCY.)




And Mary mashed his hand not once, not twice.... but a THOUSAND TIMES in the days that followed Christmas.  She totally stole that chipmunk from someone else during a game of Dirty Santa, but I feel sure it was her FAVORITE present of the season.

I hate that chipmunk.

Squeezing the hand again..... with the dish towel draped over her shoulder.

Stole somebody else's back scratcher, and now having MAX squeeze the hand for her.

But who can resist when it makes her face do THIS?

Mary stole somebody ELSE'S water bottle, but is still very much engaged in the chipmunk.

Loving on the chipmunk.


And while we all opened our presents, look what this one was doing.  The.  Whole.  Time.

I hate that chipmunk.


3.  Another SURE THING at Ryan Family Christmas?
Night Night cries over his gifts.  Every.  Time.  Bless it.

One thing we gave NN this year was this.  It has the birthdates of every grandchild on it with their names underneath.  At the bottom, it says, "What a difference a DAY makes."
Poor Night Night gets so emotional when he talks about or spends time with or looks at pictures of his family.  We kinda make fun of him...... poor ole fool can't even get through the blessing without crying.
Course, we have a lot to be thankful for, don't we, NN?
But don't cry.

Just think of something annoying.....

Here.  Try this.








So, among all the Minnie Mouse suitcases and new clothes and gift cards and bags and tickets for special experiences and such..... there was A LOT of love.


AFTER CHRISTMAS:
  Since Christmas, we've been busy....
** the boys have both gone to Gatlinburg with the youth group at church for Xtreme (and loved it!)


**Joe and I celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary with a yummy dinner (alone!) at Fleming's

**Mary lived it up at the Galleria for a couple of hours with M and NN




**we (and by WE, I mean JOE) spent three days putting together the ping-pong table that the boys got from Santa


** we've had a couple of Powell PingPong tournaments (I believe that the MOTHER is the champ)
** the boys have gotten REAL messed up at paintball (but loved it)
** we have put the house back together
AND
** we've worked to prepare for Orphan Sunday at NBC! (Jan. 5!! Come join us!)

BUSY and BLESSED!!!

Goodbye, 2013.  We will remember you fondly!

Hello, 2014!  Can't wait to live you to the fullest!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment